Nonesuch Mountain Bike Club
The Nonesuch Mountain Bike Club is a volunteer group operating under the auspices of the Friends of the Porkies organization which works in conjunction with local, regional and national organizations as well as the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park administration. Our focus is directed towards optimizing recreational opportunities within the Porcupine Mountain Wilderness State Park. We share a common interest in sustaining low and minimal impact trail systems and participate in the maintenance and establishment of non-motorized trail systems within the park boundaries.
What we do:
The general scope of the NMBC is primarily directed towards bicycle and foot traffic use. However, other users stand to benefit from the efforts of the club and its goals.
There are many good reasons to consider a volunteer organization as a viable course in managing recreational resources:
- Stewardship: A sense of “ownership” which comes from being involved in a community project generally encourages good self-governance and responsible use.
- Common Goals: Consolidating the ideas, opinions and efforts of a group of like-minded individuals and provides a larger voice in any future decision making processes.
- Advocation: To develop and promote our recreational resources, yet do it in a measured and sustainable way that doesn’t detract from one’s experience within the park.
- Fellowship: Provides social interaction in club activities such as work bees, group rides, road trips and potlucks.
- Outreach: To communicate and coordinate efforts to promote the trail system toward potential users and to stimulate interest in the trail system.
It is our belief that is each individual’s responsibility to put at least some personal effort into protecting that which they hold to be unique and special. In the case of the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, there is a considerable amount of passion shared among many people that are productively channeled into the advancement of the park and the experiences which it provides.
Proud members of the IMBA